Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hot For Teacher

Sorry I've been MIA lately. Life got busy, which is a good thing. I've glimpsed into my future of working and mothering fulltime. I'm already tired, but I wouldn't change a thing. I get to raise these boys and provide for them. I'm grateful I have the means to do it. I have my mother to thank for the fact that I have a degree. There was a time when I didn't want to bother with graduating. I was married with children and planned on always being a stay-at-home mom, but my mother wouldn't let that happen. She reminded me that life changes and I might need that BA. Boy was she right. Always listen to your mother. Always.

While I still plan to get published, I also realize that there isn't a lot of money in being an author. I still need a "real" job. Since I moved back to Florida, I have had the privilege to substitute for the private school I attended from kindergarten to graduation. When people grumble and talk about how unpleasant their high school life was, it's a foreign concept to me. I love this school. The teachers are kind, the students polite and driven, and the campus beautiful. While I enjoy subbing, my real dream is to teach junior high or high school English there, and if not at St. Johns, another private school. I thankfully have three times the amount of required English credits to teach. Then over the next year, I'll get my Florida teaching certificate. Soon I will be able to teach to the pubescent  masses.

 


I remember the moment in 9th grade English when I fell in love with the tragic story, Tess of the D'Ubervilles. I remember Mr. Shad praising a poem I wrote. He was the first person I tell me I had promise as a writer. I remember reading Shakespeare and understanding it. That's what I want to do with my life. I used to feel guilty for wanting to be more than a mother. I've always desired a career of my own, so hopefully next year, or the year after, I'll be a fulltime English teacher. I will make Mr. Shad proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment