Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Darkest Night and Shortest Day

Happy Winter Solstice!

People often find it strange that I am a Christian, and also follow a few Pagan holidays. I don't think it's odd at all. So much of Christianity is based on Pagan traditions. The New Year is just another word for Winter Solstice. And we all know that I am secretly a witch.

The shortest day and darkest night is also the day I found out about my ex-husband's affair and the night he asked for a divorce. The light faded and it truly was the longest night of my life. He slept the sleep of the guiltless, while I stayed up, sobbing and packing, cursing a woman who claimed to be my friend. I spent that night alone, more alone than I'd ever been. I was abandoned by everything, even the light. When the sun rose, I called my daddy and told him to come get me. Then I called my best friends Tiffany and Erin. They took care of me that day when I could not move from the weight of grief. They made me smile and remember my worth. They helped me see the light of the new day.

And now, I have made it through the longest, darkest year of my life. I have made it back into the light. Tonight I celebrate the year when I freed myself from an oppressive man, the year I found my voice again, the year I came back to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment