Thursday, February 13, 2014

Book Reviews: Under the Never Sky and Through the Ever Night


My friend Natalie recommended these books this summer. I'm a hard sell on getting involved in new series because I often feel letdown. Cough. . . Divergent. . . Cough. I'm also kind of a book snob. I usually give a book about two pages and if I don't love it, I stick it back into the pile. If I like a book, I read it in two days flat and get obsessed with it. I search the internet for fan art of the characters. I ship couples hardcore. And make up alternate scenes/ending. I'm not saying these are the best book ever written, but I enjoyed the heck out of Under the Never Sky and Through the Ever Nigh. I currently have the third book, Into the Still Blue, on my Nook, so as soon as I finish it, I will review it, too.

I'll give you a short synopsis of the first book, so you know what I'm talking about. You'll just have to read the second one.

Under a Never Sky: A couple hundred years ago, the sun kind of exploded, making the atmosphere toxic. The only way to survive was to live inside the safety of airtight domes, where you exist in a virtual world called the Realms. Not everyone made it inside. If you were unlucky, you got left outside where your skin would most likely melt off your face. . . or would it? The Outsiders have formed tribes and are surviving, despite the Aether (think sun flare-like Northern Lights that swirl down from the sky to kill you), little food, and lack of the internet. The book is told through a dual perspective, which I normally don't like, but Veronica Rossi rocks it.
We start off with Aria, a sheltered dome Dweller with the voice of a songbird. Then there's Perry, a hot savage with the ability to scent people's emotions and see in the dark. He somehow makes green, reflective eyes and blond dreadlocks work for him. Some stuff goes down that gets Aria kicked out of the pod. She lands in the unforgiving outside world, where she runs into Perry, the only Outsider she's ever crossed paths with before. They hate each other at first, but eventually form a reluctant and distrustful alliance because each of their futures depend on the other. Aria needs Perry to survive the outside and get back into her dome, and Perry needs her knowledge of the Realms to find his nephew, who has been kidnapped by a group of Dwellers. Murder, cannibals, love, and Aether storms ensue. As for the rest of the story, read the darn book. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment