Friday, February 21, 2014

If You Want Them to Like You, Show Them the Splits


It was my first day back in the workforce. I was so nervous, so nervous that I didn't sleep much and had to chug Diet Pepsi to wake up in the morning. All I've done for the last seven years was be a mom, which in itself is a hard job, but today I had to wear real clothes and act like an adult the whole day.

I was in charge of 4th and 5th grade math and science. The teacher I was filling in for was my former cheerleading coach, which I told they kids. They asked if I could still do splits and gymnastics. I told them I could, and they wanted to see. Because of the tile floors, flips were out, so they begged for a split. Luckily I was wearing pants, so I delivered. They said I was the best substitute they ever had. Ha ha! It doesn't take much to impress them.

I had to teach math! It was 5th grade math, but it still scared to bejeezus out of me. We were talking about products and quotients and dividends. Then there was F=M x A. There were meters per second and Newtons and whatnot. And they got it. Yippee! There was also a wild rabbit hopping about my classroom, so that was fun, too. The best part was a friend, who I grew up with, was the teacher across the hall, so when I had to use a MAC to show a slide show about science (ekk!) she and the other fourth graders helped me figure it out.

I hope they ask me back very soon. I told the kids if I sub for P.E. I'll show them my front hand springs. I better limber up. It was sure good to be back. I loved St. Johns. I hope I can afford to send my kids there one day because it is a wonderful, tightknit community. I kind of feel like doing a St. Johns cheer. Where's Hope when I need her?

And I found my senior picture in the front office. I'm the very pale girl, second to the last one on the right, bottom row.

3 comments:

  1. Math is evil, even 5th grade math. And I think I'm just as impressed as your students that you were able to bust out with the splits at the drop of a hat. I've never been able to do a split! I added yoga to my workouts because I thought it would be cool to get limber enough to actually be able to do one. Yeah, that's not happening. I guess I'll stick to lifting weights. I'm glad you had such a great first day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm double jointed. That's why I can still do the splits. My mom can still do them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Math is evil. I wanted to tell the kids, but didn't think their teacher would like if I told them the truth.

    ReplyDelete