Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Get a Job!


I need to get a job. My amazing and kind sister has given us a place to live, but I want to contribute to the household and I want to eat and put gas in the car, and maybe from time to time, treat myself to ice cream. All this takes money, and my backyard lacks money trees.

I have been a stay at home mom for the last seven years. I don't know how to write a resume or wear business attire or how to be without my boys all day. I don't even know what job I can get with my BA in Writing. I feel so lost. I want to hide under the covers. I have the chest cold from hell, pink eye, and a broken heart. Can't I just spend the day scrolling through Tumblr, looking at pictures of Tom Hiddleston and memes of Bates Motel and Sleepy Hollow? The answer is no. I can't pretend my children don't exist. They need me.

Once I'm not a contagious mess, I'm heading down to St. Johns to interview for a substituting position. This is kind of my dream come true. I loved my private school and have always wanted to return to teach there someday. Maybe I can trick them into letting me be the Creative Writing teacher. As for other job leads, I don't know where to begin. Is Monster.com still a good place to job search? Do they still post wanted ads in the paper? And is anyone hiring for a writer with no experience? I know I have written a book, but until it's published, it doesn't mean much to prospective employers.

What if I actually get a job? How do I get my boys to the babysitter, or daycare, or wherever they'll go. I don't know how to go about it. How do people do this? I have a new found respect for working mothers. I used to think staying at home was harder. I was wrong. Working and mothering at the same time brings you to a higher level of bad-ass-ery.

What are we going to write about today? A character who is out of their element, who has no idea what they're doing, and who will do I anyway. Because that is what a good protagonist does. They get stuff done, even when the stuff isn't fun. Wish me luck as I write my resume and figure out my life. I'll need it because I'm an incompetent, outdated, crazy lady, but I'm going to strap on my job helmet and go get one of those jobs that grow on the jobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment