Friday, February 28, 2014

Confessions of a Fangirl

I thought it would be fun to do an occational confessions blog. People tend to love when I divulge some of my secrets, and I do, too. I like knowing when people are not perfect and a little weird.
 


Do you fangirl? As you can see as evidence in the picture above, I do fangirl. I went to the Vampire Diaries Convention last year with my friend Holly, and I'm not the slightest bit embarrassed. I waited in line for hours to get that picture with Ian Somlerhalder and Paul Wesley. I've been a fan of Ian's for the last fifteen years. We weren't allowed to talk to the actors, but I'm a rebel. I chatted with him for a few minutes while his handlers glared at me, and while Holly tried not to faint. I'm happy to say that he was really nice, and oh, so pretty close up.

Back when the interwebs were a baby, I used to wait twenty minutes for pictures of Keanu Reeves to download. Today, the high speed internet, with its Tumblr, Pinterest, and various fan sites, has really made celebrity stalking easy. Oh, and do I stalk. I dream of going to Comic Con. When Seth and Ben are a little older, and if we have the money, we're flying out to San Diego for it. Since I am the mother of boys, I have become obsessed with Super Heroes, and one villain in particular. I'm mean really, has there ever been a more beautiful bad guy in the history of comic books?

 
If you don't believe me, just look at Tom Hiddleston in his human form. I don't think he's a real.
 
 
 
 And if you need more proof that Hiddles is the perfect human being, then watch this video.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/765213/lokid-with-tom-hiddleston.jhtml

Am I the only one who still fawns over people I'll never met, especially tall, blond, blued men?

So how can we relate all this to writing? Think about your main characters. What are their quirks? What are their obsessions? What are the unusual things they do? In order to be realistic, characters need to have layers and imperfections. Flaws are my favorite parts of protagonists and people. If your main character is the perfect, altruistic hero/heroine, rough them up a bit. Get their hands dirty. Make sure they make mistakes. Mistakes make life and writing interesting.


3 comments:

  1. i love this!!! my "celebrity crush" fluctuates between Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Bedard from Gator Boys. Yes, i WOULD live in the Fl swamps and chase gators on an air boat with him <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hide my fangirling, but as you are well aware, I got over that a long time ago. I fully embrace my fangirl ways. Sure, I probably drive my friends and family crazy at times, but I love all my fictional obsessions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a secret board on Pinterest for Tommy. But now I am no longer ashamed to fangirl all over him. And Emily, it's because of your fangirling that we've become closer cousins. :)

    ReplyDelete