Monday, March 10, 2014

A Twisted Fairytale

As I sit here upon this rock, I stare out across the sea,
To the castle and the kingdom that should belong to me.

Since I'm waiting on a publisher for The South Star, I started work on something else. I've got about seventy pages in so far, but wonder if anyone would want to read it if I turned it into a book. You see that picture up there, it's a drawing I did of the main character, Lorelei, the rightful princess of Landon. The story is very, very, very loosely based on The Little Mermaid. Here's what it is about.

Before Lorelei was born, her kingdom of Landon was overtaken, her father and his followers killed, and her mother, who refused to be marry the new king, was turned into a mermaid by a sorcerer and cast into the sea. Since she was still in her mother's womb when she was hexed, Lorelei is a mermaid who has the ability to breathe air and walk on land. But she prefers the sea where she lures every man, who dares enter the water, to their deaths. When the false prince, Merrick comes of age, he must find a bride, and Lorelei has prepared her entire life to compete for his hand in marriage. Even though the thought of being with a man turns her stomach, Lorelei plans to use her beauty and siren voice to deceive Merrick into making her his queen. Then she must find a cure to return her mother back to her human form, take back her throne, and kill Merrick. . . if she can keep herself from falling in love with him.

So would you want to read this book if I wrote it? Even if you don't, I'm writing it anyway. I'm a rebel like that.

3 comments:

  1. i love your writing style, so absolutely would read this and anything else you put out! :) (thought being the tragic, romantic idealist i am, im already secretly hoping that Lorelei will truly fall in love with this prince and everyone live happily ever after, lol.) no matter what, i always want a happy ending, which is why i take a 2.5 vacation from reality by going to the movies whenever i can <3 write this story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm a romantic at heart, Mara! ;) In books, I like the beginnings to be addictive, the middles to be heart wrenching, but the endings to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! I'm a big fan of stories that have an interesting take on a classic. :)

    ReplyDelete