Thursday, March 13, 2014

Healing a Heart


How do you heal a heart
That was broken and bruised
By the one who swore to protect it?
There is nowhere to tie a tourniquet,
So the blood is pumping, gushing.
Red runs out until life goes still.
Wait.
Can you hear it?
Thump, thump, thump.
That's your heart, girl. It's still beating.
Can you feel it?
That sharp inhalation of breath?
You're still alive, still thriving.
He couldn't take everything.
You're better off without his hand,
Tight around the strings attached to you.
You're your own you now.
Everything you once were.
You're not lost.
You're strong, a fighter.
There is a bright, beautiful world
Right beneath your fingertips.
There is success and happiness and love,
Everything you ever wanted.
Take ahold of your new life.
Breathe in and out, knowing it is good,
Knowing you healed your own heart.

I was on my way to work today and this popped into my head. It's amazing the words that flow when everything is quiet. I used to write poetry all the time, but I haven't for years. My niece Anna, a brilliant poet, inspired me to start again. In between the books, there are lines and stanza yet to be written. Grab yourself a beret, a cup of coffee (or hot chocolate if you're a Mormon), start your fingers a snapping, and get ready for some spoken word.

2 comments: